What you need to know
Lots of children and young people live with long term health conditions. These include:
- Severe allergies/anaphylaxis
Living with a long term condition can be hard, however there are often specialist professionals available to support you. These specialist professionals will ensure that you and your school/college have all of the equipment and training needed in order to safely manage your condition and ensure your health needs are met. Some children with long term conditions find it difficult to attend school, however health professionals working around you should be able to support in this.
- Make sure you look after yourself
- Comply with any medication plan you may be on e.g. insulin/inhalers
- Speak to the GP about getting duplicates of equipment/medication e.g. inhalers
- Provide school with appropriate medication and equipment
- Ensure that school/college are aware of your long term condition in case training is needed
- If you have a specialist nurse be sure to inform them if your educational setting changes
- Discuss with your friends your long term condition
- Consider carrying Medical ID equipment such as a bracelet/information card
- You may need an Education, Health and Care plan so discuss this with your school
- Speak with your school nurse so they are aware and can support you
For more information for young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities click here for the Derbyshire Local Offer.